The Bonocore Technology Partner's Operations Consulting Practice is focused on core areas of concentration to contribute to greater ROI:
- Streamline Operations
- Workload efficiency
- Operational Improvements
- Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI)
- Cost Reductions
- Revenue enhancement
- Gross Margin improvement
- Working Capital Management
- Operating Cost Reduction
- Labor Optimization
- Supply Chain Efficiency
In each engagement, the BTP integrated program approach guides greater success in operational efficiency and productivity in three key areas:
- BTP provides experienced and knowledgeable operations professionals to each assignment. These operations professionals address and develop plans addressing each of these core operational challenges.
- BTP adds value by identifying potential technology to facilitate operational solutions enablement.
- Integrating and collaborating with client teams, BTP places emphasis on leading, training and empowerment providing knowledge and technology transfers to enable client teams.
Operations Consulting: Ten Areas of Concentration
- Process Redesign: Process Redesign is a Continuous Process Improvement (CPI) methodology providing change management, portfolio management, Lean Six Sigma, simulation, Kaizen, and other tools required for the development of a continuous improvement culture. When deployed effectively, CPI increases quality and productivity while reducing waste and cycle time, yielding improved profitability.
- Asset Productivity: Asset Productivity is a comprehensive methodology that collects and analyzes key data across several functions including: output volume, planning, engineering, operations, quality assurance, and maintenance. This methodology diagnoses root-cause issues affecting underperforming assets. The overall metric, Operating Asset Effectiveness (OAE), enables a powerful analytical microscope on an organization's operational health, and potential to adapt to various business, market or competitive conditions, as well as determination of the organization's value creation role pertaining to capital preservation and optimization.
- Lean Six-Sigma: Lean Six Sigma encompasses all the attributes of Lean Management, Six Sigma, and other tools to identify opportunities to achieve operational excellence. This methodology recognizes performance gaps, reduces cycle time, eliminates waste, and focuses on quality and productivity improvements to deliver dramatic new efficiencies and performance improvements.
- Strategic Sourcing: Strategic Sourcing is a methodology, and set of processes to help companies analyze how they purchase products, and services in order to: lower costs, improve profits, and maximize supply chain efficiency. While most organizations implement strategic sourcing initiatives for the purpose of cost efficiencies, strategic sourcing best practices also enable improvement of supplier performance while minimizing risk.
- Supply Chain Modeling: Supply Chain Modeling is a rigorous analysis of Regional, National, and/or Global supply chains based on a Large Scale Mixed Integer Programming (LSMIP) mathematical model of the entire Supply Chain. Results from these models guide an optimal allocation of assets and working capital, while providing blueprints for major change in the structure and operation of large and small supply chains. Further, the model informs new targeted metrics for ongoing improvements in operations. Beginning with the optimal solution model, BTP fashions a practical plan to reduce deployed capital where possible, and modify the flow of material and resources to dramatically improve operations, reduce costs, and increase speed while meeting customer demand and service expectations.
- Lean Asset Structuring: Lean Asset Structuring is process supporting maintenance of an asset structure (ownership, configuration, and role definition) which satisfies customer and market demand while minimizing asset investment. This impacts both capital and cost levels by: improving capital allocation, eliminating non critical fixed costs, improving capacity utilization, or reducing the fixed asset base through elimination of poor performing or low value assets. Rigorous and formalized data analysis using BTP proprietary methodology balances strategic considerations against asset cost and performance . This yields a model of core assets that can serve as a strategic platform for growth and competitive advantage. The model challenges marginal assets (with poor asset performance and questionable strategic value) as well a providing an evaluation basis for secondary and supporting assets that may require further improvements in performance.
- Reliability Centered Maintenance: Reliability-Centered Maintenance is intended to provide maximum useful capacity at the lowest possible cost throughout the entire production system. Our proprietary and proven approach begins with the development of an effective maintenance strategy that applies scarce and valuable resources where they can provide the most leverage in delivering high capacity at the lowest possible cost. The BTP process is built on rigorous data analysis and documentation, and has been successfully applied in many industries and numerous environments including: consumer products, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, energy and utilities, oil and gas, aerospace and defense, pulp and paper, primary metals, forging, transportation, shipbuilding, health care, and many fixed facilities.
- Supplier Management: Supplier Measurement and Management are required processes to formally and efficiently define, measure, and control supplier performance to conform to business strategy and meet business goals. Suppliers and buyers each need to maximize time, resources, and cash investment in a complex relationship. These needs may result in competing priorities that strain the relationship. To protect both parties, a mutual business understanding is required. This understanding must defined to complement in place Agreements; yet, provide agreed to measurements including a clear set of quantitative and qualitative metrics and targets. This formal process can routinely gauge the intended performance sharing frequently gathered data, analysis in joint reviews. This can ensure that suppliers understand, adhere to, and are accountable for performance against key targets related to cost, quality, delivery, flexibility, and others as appropriate.
- Sales & Operations Planning: Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP) is at the heart of balancing supply and demand while aligning a company around a common financial, demand and supply plan. S&OP is a set of decision-making processes that balances supply and demand to integrate financial and operational planning and to link high level strategic plans with day-to-day operations. It often provides the day to day controls on the business to manage marketing, sales, capacity planning and production in a coordinated fashion to set, review, and meet operational and financial targets
- Change Management: Change Management is a transformation process that allows the rethinking of fundamental perspectives of people, processes, systems and structures that drive the business. It guides the individual and group change of perspective, attitude and team composition, as well as, the organizational ethos, mindset, and psychological DNA that will make the difference in any significant transformation effort.
Operations Consulting Project Examples
- BTP developed & managed the implementation of a corporate restructuring strategy for the data and information processing subsidiary of a public company. The plan called for: recruiting and reorganizing key members of the management team, restructuring the sales force, and implementing new client management relationship organization. BTP contributed to significant improvements, including: the sales commission structure, the product and services strategy, as well as, client contracting, pricing, and billing practices. The changes resulted in significant increase in short term revenue and efficiency.
- BTP Completed a business assessment of a software applications outsourcing company which resulted in adding $3.0 million to the company's operating income. BTP business diagnostics discovered, and addressed operating deficiencies in estimating, contracting, and operations. BTP guided change management and corrections bringing the client to profitability for the first time.
- Led a Central European procurement engagement for a global copier company netting the company $80m in savings.
- Led multiple re-engineering Projects for a middle market retail corporation with a positive P&L impact of $14.3 million and capital reductions of $22.5 million. Projects addressed improvements in store operations, and all facets of network operations
- Managed the negotiation, closing international outsourcing contract for a Fortune 2000 Company resulting in cost savings in excess of $5,000,000.
- Led an Information Technology (IT) infrastructure reorganization for a multi-national company which resulted in creating four separate entities to improve performance and provide better customer service. The infrastructure provided included hardware, software and communication services. Infrastructure budget was over $700 million.
- Led a project to consolidate nine data centers into two state of the art computing centers for a large corporation. The new data centers were created to operate Six Sigma standards. Change management, problem management, and disaster recovery processes were developed and implemented to support the 24X7 requirement. This effort included developing automated and remote operations capability for the systems and their associated network.
- Completed a global operations review for a large Corporation. BTP met goals to integrate all shared services functions for this company. Results included improved in alignment with restructuring strategy, and elimination of redundant, and ineffective process and procedures for effective integration.
- Conducted a Strategic Management and Operations Review for a major middleware software company in Europe. BTP helped defined new vertical market segments while providing the corporation management an assessments and support to restructure this European entity.
- Lead a major turnaround and restructuring project for a data processing services organization. The company was without a sales program and associated key personnel to drive growth. The staffing issues included service improvements to a major client account, winning renewal before contract was due to expire.
- Designed a Human Capital Management Program and Supporting Systems for a major U.S. Company. This was in addition to our PMO responsible for consolidating three projects including metrics and risk management.
- Developed customer requirements, design and project management of large leading-edge customer care system for major U. S. Company. The effort included managing 12 consultants while partnering with eight stakeholder groups and business owners.
- Led a Revenue Assurance Assessment and Management Review for a major European Telecommunications Provider The effort resulted in improving the bottom line by $10m
- Created & implemented a new SLA program and related productivity improvement metrics and contras for large E-commerce Retail Company with multiple web sites. Initial savings were $2.5 million annually.
- Conducted an analysis of major enterprise revenue streams for a US-based broadband communications provider. The goal of this effort was to recoup lost revenue. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of recurring revenue was identified and recommendations to fix processes provided.